Inpatient Mental Health Care
Wellfound Behavioral Health Hospital offers individualized, comprehensive mental health care in Tacoma for all psychiatric disorders.
Inpatient mental health care supports each person’s unique behavioral health needs in a 24/7, safe and secure hospital environment. Our clinicians have extensive experience in caring for patients who need specialized behavioral health services for a wide range of conditions. They provide respectful, patient-centered care, encouraging full participation and engagement for the best progress and faster transition to a less-intensive care setting.
At Wellfound, we surround you with a supportive, specialized care team including a social worker, registered nurse and a psychiatric provider. Our program supports symptom improvement, meaningful education and transition planning for continued progress after you leave the hospital setting.
With your team, you develop a treatment plan and personal wellness goals. We help you take steps to take charge—to begin to manage your symptoms. From the start, your patient-directed program gives you a voice in your treatment and helps you identify potential crisis risks to regain some personal control. At all times, your safety and health stabilization are our primary concerns.
We tailor each person’s treatment program to specific, identified needs. At Wellfound, you can expect that our holistic mental health care may include:
- Individualized therapy
- Group therapy
- Medication management
Receiving care in a hospital setting provides several important treatment benefits:
- You are in a safe and secure environment that supports stabilization and prevents self-harm
- Your caregivers have the opportunity to observe your symptoms consistently over time, instead of getting just a small snapshot
- The inpatient setting helps you stay on your medication schedule
- Being in a controlled environment lets us observe any gaps patients with certain conditions may have in perceived versus actual reality
Each person is unique. The time you spend with us will depend on your immediate behavioral health acute care needs, the complexity of your condition and any co-occurring disorders. Your personal motivation and how engaged you are with your treatment also help determine your discharge date from the hospital.
Your family and loved ones will be involved as much—or as little—as you wish. We welcome and encourage family members to attend our family meetings and educational programs.
Programming focuses on symptom management and learning skills designed to help patients develop and maintain adaptive skills that will improve functioning. Given the varied nature of the patient populations we serve, programming is built with broad applicability using evidence-based treatments, such as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, to serve a variety of psychiatric needs. Patients are expected to participate in a variety of group and individual services tailored to their care needs.
- Medication management: Daily meetings with psychiatric providers to assess the ongoing effectiveness and management of side effects of psychiatric medications
- Medical evaluation and treatment: At least once during the admission, patients will meet with a medical provider who can evaluate and recommend treatment for ongoing medical concerns.
- Individual therapy: Services address psychiatric symptoms on an individual basis using evidence-based techniques. These services are provided by the unit therapists.
- Family support: Meetings with family members to provide education and discuss preparation towards discharge
- Nursing care: Care provided by nursing staffing to ensure the safety and wellbeing of patients on the unit, 24 hours per day
Group services are offered throughout the day by a variety of qualified professionals using evidence-based approaches to care. Groups may include:
- Psychoeducational groups primarily around the topic of symptom management and illness education
- Cognitive behavioral groups
- Coping skills groups
- Cognitive skills group
- Leisure education and social skills
- Mindfulness and meditation group
- Activities of daily living
- Medication education
- Daily goals group
- Discharge and safety planning
- Our patients are encouraged to participate fully in their treatment plan and actively engage with their program. We want you to leave Wellfound equipped with insights and tools to help you better manage—and enjoy—daily life.